- 8 slices rustic wheat bread
- 1/2 of an 8-oz. pkg. peeled fresh whole baby carrots, halved lengthwise
- 1 8-oz. pkg. button mushrooms, halved
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 small red onion, cut in thin wedges
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 oz. soft goat cheese (chevre)
- Fresh basil (optional)
1. Preheat broiler. Place bread on baking sheet; set aside.
2. In large skillet cook carrots, mushrooms, garlic, and onion in hot olive oil over medium-high heat 2 to 3 minutes, until vegetables just begin to brown. Add 2 tablespoons water; cover and cook over medium heat 5 minute, or until vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring once. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Meanwhile, for cheese toast, lightly toast bread 3 inches from boiler heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Spread goat cheese on one side of each slice. Broil 3 inches from heat for 1 to 2 minutes, until cheese is softened.
4. On plates, top cheese toast with vegetables. Drizzle with additional olive oil; sprinkle with fresh basil. Makes 4 servings.
From Better Homes and Gardens
Submitted by Shelli