- 2 10-3/4-ounce cans reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 10-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
- 3/4 cup chopped green sweet pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 6- or 7-inch corn tortillas, cut into thin, bite-size strips
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken*
- 1 8-ounce package (2 cups) shredded cheddar cheese
- Tomato slices (optional)
- Sliced green onions (optional)
1. Combine soup, tomatoes with chiles, sweet pepper, onion, chili powder, and black pepper; set aside.
2. To assemble, sprinkle about one-third of the tortilla strips over the bottom of an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking dish or 3-quart rectangular casserole. Layer half of the chicken over tortilla strips; spoon half of soup mixture on top. Sprinkle half of the cheese and another one-third of the tortilla strips over the soup mixture. Layer with remaining chicken, soup mixture, and tortilla strips.
3. Bake, uncovered, in 350 degree F oven about 45 minutes or until bubbly around edges and center is hot. Remove from oven; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. If desired, top with sliced tomatoes and green onions. Makes 8 servings.
ToTote: Cover tightly after sprinkling with cheese. Transport in an insulated carrier. If desired, trasnport tomatoes and green onions in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
*Note: About 1 pound boneless chicken breasts will yield 3 cups cubed cooked chicken; 1/2 pound yields about 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
For 4 Servings: Prepare using method above, except assemble in an ungreased 2-quart square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven about 35 minutes or until bubbly around edges and center is hot.
From Better Homes and Gardens
Submitted by Shelli