- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2-1/2 to 3 pounds meaty chicken pieces (breast halves, thighs, and drumsticks)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes with onion and green pepper, undrained
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 2/3 cup long grain rice
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
1. In a large resealable plastic bag combine flour, 1 teaspoon of the chili powder, the salt, and pepper. Add chicken pieces, half at a time. Seal bag; shake to coat.
2. In a very large skillet brown chicken on all sides in hot oil over medium heat about 10 mintues, turning occasionally. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside; discard drippings. Add beans, undrained tomatoes, tomato juice, corn, uncooked rice, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, the cayenne pepper, and garlic to the skillet. Bring to boiling. Transfer rice mixture to a 13x9x2-inch baking dish or 3-quart rectangular casserole. Arrange chicken pieces on top of rice mixture.
3. Bake, covered, in a 375 degrees F oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F for breasts; 180 degrees F for thighs and drumsticks) and rice is tender. Makes 6 servings.
From Better Homes and Gardens
Submitted by Shelli